Welcome to the Active Roma site!
Active Roma is a joint partnership between Maranoa Regional Council, Queensland Health, Australian Sports Commission, Department of Communites(Disability Services) and Maranoa Health Enhancement Program.
We also have representation from various organsiations including Department of Communities (Sport & Recreation Services).
Our aim is to inspire healthy, active communities in the Maranoa region by supporting residents to make healthy lifestyle choices including physical activity and nutrition.
Community gardens aim to engage and inspire people to grow, eat and share fresh produce. These shared garden spaces are owned and run by the community and provide a place for interested people who do not have access to their own garden space or who want to share their passion for gardening with others. In addition, community gardens provide a place for people to connect and be part of their community.
There are established community gardens in Roma, Yuleba and Surat. Be Healthy Maranoa is currently assisting in the development similar facilities in Wallumbilla, Mitchell and Injune.
For further information, contact your local community garden: Roma - Kylie Dibble email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mitchell: Sharyn Garrett phone: 4623 7814; Yuleba: Paul Masson phone: 4623 5307.
Get active in Roma without spending $$$:
- take your dog for a walk
- play in the park
- go for a bike ride
- walk along the Adungadoo Pathway
- borrow the Active Roma games kits from the Roma Town Library
- jump up and down and wriggle around
- dance around at home while listening to your favourite music
- grab a ball and kick it around
- go for a walk to your nearest shop to buy your groceries
- do the gardening or mow the lawn
- do house work.
Why is being active good for you?
- it can make you feel good about yourself
- it's a great way to have fun with friends and make new ones
- it's a chance to try new activities
- it can improve your fitness and flexibility
- it can make your bones and muscles stronger
- it improves the health of your heart
- it can help you reach and keep a healthy weight
- it can help you relax
- it reduces stress
- it can help you grow up healthy
- it can improve your posture.